At Allen Keith Construction Co., we encourage you to do home improvements year round. That’;s why we’ve put together this list of projects for inspiration. Many of them are seasonal, but others can be swapped to fit your timeline or budget. With today’s economy, it makes sense to plan ahead and keep your home current and in good repair.
January: Start the New Year Right – Reduce Your Clutter
While the cold winds of winter whistle around you, begin cleaning out your clutter and storing away your extra items. This may require adding storage to help you organize.
- Install organizers in your closets to maximize space
- Add additional storage with an extra linen cupboard, china cabinet, or pantry
- Add shelving and cupboards in the basement to store your Christmas decorations.
- Add cupboards to the laundry room and extra shelves to coat closets
February: Update Your Bathroom
Take advantage of this short, but dark month to add some warmth to your home with a bathroom makeover. If the layout works, change the small things. If not, change the layout and take the room to a whole new level. Here are some suggestions:
- Install new stylish faucets and fixtures on the sink, tub, and shower
- Upgrade lighting fixtures
- Transform your shower into a warm spa with a shower massage, a rain bar, or a whole body shower
- Replace the cabinet with one that has more storage, if needed, or just replace the hardware for a new look
- Repaint the walls in a new color with mold and mildew-proof primers and paints
- Replace caulking and worn tiles
March: Organize the Basement
Whether you need to clean out the basement or finish it, take advantage of the wet weather to improve the basement living space.
- Protect your basement from wet weather. Add a dehumidifier and caulk the cracks
- Get the extra space you need by adding a family room, bar or more storage space to your basement
- Clean and declutter the basement
- Organize and label items stored here
- Improve the lighting
April: Time for an Addition
The weather has broken, and new things are springing up everywhere. It’s time to add that extra room you’ve been wanting:
- Extend your fun in the sun with more outdoor living and entertaining space. Add a porch or patio.
- Add an enclosed sunroom so you can extend your summer
- Add an extra family room, bedroom, or in-law suite
May: Prep Your Deck for Entertaining
Memorial Day is coming and with it comes the beginning of picnics and grilling. Prepare to spend lots of time outside. If you need a deck, build it now. If you have a deck, get it ready to go.
- Clean and repair your deck
- Stain the deck
- Add a pergola to create shade and a separate zone for lounging
- Add large container gardens filled with vegetables or colorful flowers
- Add hanging lights to extend the hours you can entertain
June: Repair Your Siding
If you have aluminum or vinyl siding:
- Inspect your siding for cracks and breaks
- Determine if you need to replace or repair it and reach out to a contractor.
July: Repair Your Roof
Take advantage of the dry summer weather to inspect and repair or replace your roof.
- Replace any damaged shingles
- Check the flashing
- Look for chimney damage
- Replace any spouting that is worn
August: Paint Your Home Exterior and Trim
Take advantage of August’s warm, dry days to paint the outside of your house or have someone do it for you. If you have a brick or sided home, paint the trim or replace the trim with vinyl that never needs painted. Here are some tips:
- Power wash the exterior of your home
- Scrape any peeling paint or dirt
September: Get Your Home Ready for Winter
Winterize your home, starting with these high visibility items:
- Inspect your furnace. Replace filters. Clean registers
- Replace leaky windows and doors with energy efficient ones
- Add insulation to your attic and house walls
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Wrap your water heater with an insulation blanket
- Wrap any unheated water pipes and drain outdoor spigots
- Clean out the garage
October: Brighten Your Kitchen
Splash your kitchen with color and get the focal point you’ve always wanted just before Thanksgiving.
- Install a tile backsplash.
- Replace worn and scratched countertops
- Add new light fixtures, including under counter LED lights
- Add a laminate floor
- Enlarge your island or add a new one for extra space for holiday entertaining
- Add more cupboards including ones with lead glass to display glassware
November: Paint and Decorate for the Holidays
Give the inside of your home a fresh, newly decorated look ready for holiday entertaining.
- Remove outdated wallpaper
- Update your paint colors
- Paint all the trim in the house one color for a unified look
- Add crown molding in the living room for elegance
- Replace builder installed baseboards with taller custom-looking base trim
- Install chair rail or wainscoting in dining room, living room, or foyer
December: Check Your Flooring
Prepare for the rush of visitors at the end of the month by inspecting your flooring.
- Replace worn carpet with new laminate flooring
- Retreat your foyer with tile or stone
- Clean your carpets
Contact us for help with your 12-month checklist
Allen Keith will assist you from the planning and prioritizing to construction and completion. We are the area’s one stop home improvement and remodeling resource. To discuss your remodeling checklist contact us.