5 Creative Ways to Add Additional Space onto Your Home
We often need more space for living, working, playing, or entertaining in our homes. Look at these 6 creative ways to add additional space onto your home.
- Connect to Your Yard and Outdoors
Many room additions attach to the back of your house. This is a great way to tie in your home with your backyard.
• Install a sliding glass door that leads to a deck or patio outside
• Add a sunroom, or a family room with plenty of windows and natural light
• Have your addition lead to a deck or patio with a beautiful view
- Raise the Roof
Additions don’t always have to expand your home horizontally. Sometimes increasing your space vertically is the answer.
• A second-floor addition is very popular in urban areas with small lots
• Large trusses and a change in pitch in the roof can change the height of your attic or upper level to have more livable space. Add dormer windows to let in light
• Another option is to build an additional level on top of your existing home
- Make a Style Statement
Everyone has their own unique sense of style. Show the world by making a large statement that can be seen from the curb, or your backyard. For example, add a tower with one room over the other. Add gray or sandstone rocks to the exterior for a medieval flair.
- Extend Your Home
Build a pavilion onto the back of your home. These can serve as a mini-retreat center -- a great place to relax, have picnics, and entertain company. Not only do pavilions complement the original structure, but they seem as if they are almost another stand-alone building.
- Bump Out
Depending on how much space you need, you may be able to extend your house by a few feet. Bump outs are ideal when your existing rooms aren’t quite big enough, and when you don’t want to do a full-scale addition.
• Expand your master bathroom, so you can install the spa tub you’ve always wanted
• Create enough space to have an island in your kitchen
• Add an extra closet onto your bedroom for more storage
When planning an addition it is vital to work with an experienced and knowledgeable contractor. Allen Keith Construction Company has an excellent reputation for quality work. Contact us for more ideas regarding your home addition.